TALE (Transport and Logistical Efficiencies) has signed up over 100 freight and service companies to its programme of grants and business support.
The scheme invests in projects that use data in a logistics function, for example new software, data capture devices or operating systems.
The aim of the scheme is to increase productivity, to drive growth and help launch new products and services in the commercial freight sector or any business with a significant logistics function.
TALE is run by the Haven Gateway Partnership on a not for profit basis, distributing a total pot of £1.9M. £200,000 has already been awarded, individual grants can be up to £60,000 per company. This non-repayable investment represents 40% of a project total budget, with the company themselves match funding the other 60% of costs.
TALE Business Support Facilitators support the company at all times – starting with a site visit to carry out a free diagnostic assessment. This produces a report assessing current data use capability and highlighting opportunities for improvement and growth. Thereafter the company can apply for a grant for any project that involves data use in the logistics function. TALE facilitators (Patrick Maynard, Sian Dowell and Fred Thomas) will travel to any location in Norfolk, Suffolk, Essex, Kent and East Sussex and face to face support is provided to any small or medium enterprise in the these area covered by project sponsors the New Anglia and South East Local Enterprise Partnerships. Companies in the wider UK can also apply, with the grant budget guaranteed from pre-approved EU ERDF funds and continuing regardless of Brexit.
The scheme has been supported by facilitator presentations run by FTA (Freight Transport Association), RHA (Road Haulage Association) and the Haven Gateway Partnership is a member of CILT (Chartered Institute of Logistics and Transport).
Advice on making successful grant applications is available at www.tale.org.uk